Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Steelfixing Occupations (Construction)
The Diploma in Steelfixing Occupations will develop knowledge and skills in areas such general health, safety and welfare; productive working practices; and moving, handling and storing resources.
Learners can specialise in:
– cutting and bending reinforcement steel to shape in the workplace
– fixing steel in situ in the workplace
– prefabricating reinforcement steel sections in the workplace
This qualification is aimed at those who are in work and are looking for recognition of their prior learning and experience.
Its primary purpose is to confirm the learner’s occupational competence as a steelfixer. As a work-related, competence-based qualification it provides confirmation to employers, industry managers and card schemes that the learner has the skills and knowledge needed to meet the nationally recognised standard to carry out the role.
Learners who achieve this qualification can use it to gain employment, to progress in the industry, or to work towards another qualification (see Progression).
The qualification is designed to meet the following objectives:
– confirming knowledge, understanding and skills
– providing access to a relevant card scheme
– enabling learners to gain the relevant licence to practice
Who is this qualification for?
This qualification is suitable for:
– people in employment who wish to enhance their career prospects
– individuals who wish to start their own business
– school and college students with a part-time job that enables them to develop the appropriate skills in the workplace
– full-time and part-time study
There are no specific skills, knowledge understanding or any other qualifications that must be achieved in order to start this qualification, however learners must have the potential and opportunity to gain this qualification successfully.
This qualification is mainly taken by individuals employed as a steelfixers.
Learners may progress from the Level 2 in Steelfixing Occupations (Construction) to a range of qualifications at Level 3 and above, including Occupational Work Supervision.
Mandatory Core Units:
– Conforming to General Health, Safety and Welfare in the Workplace
– Conforming to Productive Working Practices in the Workplace
– Moving, Handling and Storing Resources in the Workplace
Optional Units: learners must achieve a minimum of two units
– Cutting and Bending Reinforcement Steel to Shape in the Workplace
– Fixing Steel in Situ in the Workplace
– Prefabricating Reinforcement Steel Sections in the Workplace
Optional Units: Not mandatory
– Slinging and Hand Signalling the Movement of Suspended Loads in the Workplace