The National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) 3 in Occupational Health and Safety at (Irish level 5) allows candidates to demonstrate competence in job-related skills in their particular area of work and expertise.
This qualification covers areas such as making sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety, developing procedures to safely control work operations, safely controlling work operations, promoting a positive health and safety culture, and conducting a health and safety risk assessment of a workplace.
This qualification has been designed in partnership with Proskills, the sector skills council, to ensure relevance to the sector.
Who does the qualification suit?
This NVQ is suitable for:
– individuals who are currently in employment and who wish to obtain a formal qualification
– individuals who seek career change
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Candidates should be in a job or placement where they are carrying out relevant tasks and responsibilities which allow then to gather the required evidence.
No prior qualifications are required to undertake this qualification, although experience or knowledge of the health and safety and related sectors would be an advantage.
Am I Eligible?
Download our Initial Profile Tool below to determine if you have access to this qualification. Please complete this document and send it to us at email@example.com. Please note that this document requires Adobe Reader to complete.
This NVQ 3 (Irish level 5) award could provide progression to:
– an NVQ 6 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice at (Irish level 8)
– degree level study in a related area at a higher education institution
– employment in a range of sectors, perhaps as a health and safety office
Mandatory Units: Candidates must complete 5 Units from this group
– Make Sure your Own Actions Reduce Risks to Health and Safety
– Develop Procedures to Safely Control Work Operations
– Safely Control Work Operations
– Promote a Positive Healthy and Safety Culture
– Conduct a Health and Safety Risk Assessment of a Workplace
Optional Units: Candidates must complete 2 Units from this group
– Investigate and Evaluate Health and Safety Incidents and Complaints at Work
– Review Health and Safety Procedures at Workplaces other than Your Own
– Supervise the Health, Safety and Welfare of an Individual at Work
– Behavioural Safety in the Workplace
– Manage Contractors to Ensure Compliance with Health and Safety
– Develop and Implement the Health and Safety Induction Process
– Manage the Environmental and Social Impacts of Your Work