The National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) 6 in Occupational Health and Safety Practice(Irish level 8) allows candidates to demonstrate competence in job-related skills in their particular area of work and expertise.
This qualification covers areas such as promoting a positive health and safety culture, effective communication systems and policy for health and safety information, developing and maintaining individual and organisational competence as well as controlling risks and reviewing proactive and reactive monitoring systems for health and safety. It also covers developing and implementing emergency response, reviewing systems and procedures, and influencing and keeping pace with improvements in health and safety practice.
This qualification has been designed in partnership with Proskills, the sector skills council, to ensure relevance to the sector.
Who does the qualification suit?
This NVQ is suitable for:
– individuals who have achieved the SV/NQ 3-4 in Occupational Health and Safety
– individuals who are currently in employment as health and safety officers and who wish to obtain a formal qualification
Entry is at the discretion of the centre.
Candidates should be in a job where they are carrying out relevant tasks and responsibilities which allow them to gather the required evidence.
It is expected that candidates for this advanced NVQ will have relevant experience in health and safety practice.
Although it is not an entry requirement, achievement of S/NVQ 3-4 in Occupational Health and Safety or a relevant equivalent occupational qualification would be beneficial.
This NVQ level 6 award (Irish level 8) could provide progression to:
– an NVQ 7 (Irish level 9) in Management of Health and Safety
– degree level study in a related field at a higher education institution
– employment in the health and safety sector, perhaps as a health and safety officer in a supervisor/management role
– Promote a positive health and safety culture
– Develop and implement the health and safety policy
– Develop and implement effective communication systems for health and safety information
– Develop and maintain individual and organisational competence in health and safety matters
– Identify, assess and control health and safety risks
– Develop and implement proactive monitoring systems for health and safety
– Develop and implement reactive monitoring systems for health and safety
– Develop and implement health and safety emergency response systems and procedures
– Develop and implement health and safety review systems
– Maintain knowledge of improvements to influence health and safety practice